An Israeli national survey on ischemic colitis induced by pre-colonoscopy bowel preparation (R1)
|Journal||Volume 85 - 2022|
|Issue||Fasc.1 - Case series|
|Author(s)||O. Tomer 1, Y. Shapira 2, O. Kriger-Sharabi 3, N. Mawasi 4, E. Melzer 3, J. Epshtein 5, Z. Ackerman 1|
VIEW FREE PDF
(1) Departments of Medicine, Hadassah-Hebrew University Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel, Faculty of Medicine, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel
(2) Department of Gastroenterology, Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv, Israel
(3) Institute of Gastroenterology, Kaplan Medical Center, Rehovot and Faculty of Medicine, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel
(4) Department of Gastroenterology, Carmel Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
(5) Gastroenterology, Hadassah-Hebrew University Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Background and study aims: Ischemic colitis (IC) may occur as a complication of colonoscopy. The aim of this study was to characterize patients with IC that occurred after exposure to bowel preparation laxatives, prior to an elective colonoscopy.
Patients and methods: A survey among Israeli gastroenterologists. Information was collected regarding individual cases.
Results: Eight patients, who developed IC after bisacodyl ingestion that was taken as part of pre-colonoscopy bowel preparation protocol, were reported. In all patients, severe abdominal pain and/or hematochezia started shortly after the ingestion of the first dose of bisacodyl. IC was found in 7 patients during the planned colonoscopy and in 1 patient using computerized tomography. All patients received supportive treatment and recovered.
Conclusions: IC induced by bisacodyl is a rare phenomenon. Regardless of being rare, we would advise withholding bisacodyl bowel preparation in elderly subjects with risk factors for IC that are scheduled for a colonoscopy.
Keywords: Ischemic colitis, Colonoscopy complications, Pre-colonoscopy bowel preparation, Bisacodyl, National Survey.
|The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.|
© Acta Gastro-Enterologica Belgica.